Waffles can be prepared in many different ways, depending on what you are in the mood for. There are dozens of dough recipes, both leavened and unleavened. The ingredients and their ratios vary depending on whether you want crispy waffles, delicate or sticky ones.
Are you drooling yet? Find out how to make the very best waffle dough for your waffle iron.
Recipe for crispy waffles
Ingredients for 12 waffles:
- 250 g of semi-coarse flour
- 100 g of white sugar
- 1 packet of vanilla sugar
- 1/2 packet of baking powder
- 125 g of butter
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml of milk
- 100 ml of sparkling water
- pinch of salt
- Melt the butter in a pot and let it cool.
- Stir the cool butter with the cold milk and eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually add the sugar, salt, water, flour and baking powder. Do not forget to mix everything thoroughly to avoid lumps in the dough.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. In the meantime, switch on the waffle iron.
- Then pour the rested dough in the waffle iron and bake until golden-brown.
You can also use a sandwich toaster.
If you don’t have a waffle iron, don’t worry. Waffles from a sandwich toaster are just as good. You simply need the type with the replaceable plates and the same dough we used for crispy waffles in the waffle iron. Simply use the ribbed plates in the sandwich toaster and you can start making waffles.
Be careful not to use too much dough or it may run out when you close the toaster. Bake the waffles until golden-brown - then they will be perfectly crispy. If you prefer softer and sticker dough, take them out a bit sooner.
How to make the job easier.
- It’s a good idea to pour the dough into the waffle iron from a taller vessel with a spout, so it doesn’t pour into unwanted places.
- Before making the first batch, you should grease the waffle iron lightly. However, this isn’t necessary if your device has a non-stick surface.
- Never remove the waffles using metal utensils, to avoid damaging the waffle iron surface. Instead, use a wooden spoon or spatula.
- When using a waffle iron or sandwich toaster, take note of the indicator that tells you whether the plates are hot enough to pour in the dough. They will also tell you the right time to remove the goodies from the device.
Tips for serving waffles
Serving ideas? That’s entirely up to you. Waffles go really well with marmalade, fresh fruit, chocolate and whipped cream. Here is a list of our favourite toppings:
- sugar (powdered, vanilla or cinnamon flavoured)
- fresh fruit (forest berries or bananas go best with waffles)
- whipped cream
- chocolate (either grated or melted in a bain marie)
- cocoa powder
- maple syrup
- agave syrup
- sour cream
- white yogurt
- marmalade (Belgians use runny marmalade that is simply made for waffles)
- ice cream
We bet that as soon as you taste them once, you won’t want anything else for breakfast. Don’t forget to write us your tips for serving this treat!