- Why washing maintenance is important
- How to clean the filter
- How to clean the rubber seal
- How to maintain the detergent dispenser
- Cleaners for the washing machine drum
- How to clean a washing machine in a nutshell
Why is washing machine maintenance so important?
Litres of water and piles of detergent cannot ensure the cleanliness of the appliance itself. On the contrary. The combination of humidity, hair and other debris clogs the parts and sets the stage for the growth of dangerous bacteria and fungi. Another common problem is lime scale and unpleasant odour.
The more often you do laundry, the more you have to deal with washing machine maintenance. But don’t worry. Just follow these steps a few times per year:
Filter: Just hot water, but regularly
We recommend cleaning the filter at least 2 times per year. If you do laundry every day, adapt the frequency accordingly and rinse the filter about every 2 months. The best way to remove the filter is shown in the manual you received with the appliance from the manufacturer.
- Usually, it is on the front of the washing machine on the bottom right.
- Before opening the cover, place a dry absorbent cloth in front. As soon as you take the filter out, some water will run from it.
- Remove all debris and rinse the part thoroughly under hot running water. You do not need to use special detergents.
Rubber seal: Preferably after every washing
The seal around the washing machine door is easily clogged with hair, dirt and sometimes larger “treasures” - for instance forgotten tissues.
- Remove all large debris from the folds in the seal.
- Wipe it down with a moist cloth.
- Use a brush to remove mud or dirt - for instance an old toothbrush.
- Finally dry off the seal with a clean cloth.
TIP: Wipe the seal and its fold after every wash.
Leave the door open after every wash until it dries. This will remove humidity and the resulting mould and unpleasant odour.
Detergent dispenser: Simply rinse it under running water
The dispenser tends to be full of old laundry powder and fabric softener. It can even accumulate lime scale and mould.
- Simply remove the entire drawer and rinse it under hot running water.
- You can also use a bathroom cleaning detergent or special lime scale remover.
- Use a toothpick to clean the openings and jets that move the fabric softener to the washing machine.
- The dispenser will be like new after a thorough cleaning. Repeat the procedure about once per month.
TIP: In order to prevent the reappearance of lime scale or mould, leave the dispenser open after every load so it can dry out.
Washer drum: Forget outdated advice
In discussion forums, you may have read about cleaning the drum with vinegar or citric acid. Be careful! Vinegar and acid can irreparably damage the drum, filter and rubber seal. Therefore, it is better to invest in special cleaning powder.
You can choose from the following types:
- Cleaning tablets (with oxidising effect): They eliminate dirt and odour from poorly accessible places, including the rubber seal. Just insert the tablet in the empty drum and start the 60° cycle. Repeat ideally every month.
- Powdered lime scale remover: Removes lime scale deposits and restores the appliance to full performance. Once every 6 months, just pour one third of the packaging into the detergent dispenser and the rest in the drum and start a long cycle.
- Pouched grease and lime scale remover: This clever professional 3 in 1 helper also reduces lime scale on the heating element, pipes, pump and other inaccessible parts. It also removes grease and dirt, the most common causes of unpleasant odour.
TIP: Do you have hard water at home? Install a magnetic descaler on the water inlet hose. It will protect the appliance from lime scale and extend its lifetime.
Summary: Washing machine maintenance in a nutshell
- After every wash, wipe the drum seal with a moist cloth and leave the door open until it dries.
- Leave the detergent dispenser open as well. Rinse it with water occasionally.
- Use a special cleaner to remove sediments and grease once per month.
- Clean the filter at least twice per year.
- Use lime scale remover twice per year.
Does it sound complicated? It’s not! Each of these tasks takes just a few minutes. It will pay off with a longer lifetime for your washing machine and the joy of fragrant laundry.