How to choose the right pumpkin for cooking?
Vegetable Hokkaido pumpkins can grow up to a gigantic size but for cooking, smaller fruits with a radius of about 10–40 cm are sufficient. Choose heavier pumpkins. This gives you the certainty they will be full of delicious flesh and not seeds. Ripe pumpkins can be identified by dry cracks on the stem and a harder matte shell. If possible, choose fruits with a smooth, intact surface.
Basic recipe for pumpkin soup
Every autumn, there appear a lot of recipes for pumpkin soup. Of course you can add a variety of ingredients, but you will be never disappointed by this basic recipe:
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 500 g Hokkaido pumpkin
- 750 ml vegetable broth
- 250 ml cooking cream
- Salt, pepper and chilli for flavouring
- A bit of sour cream and a few pumpkin seeds for decoration
- Wash the pumpkin, halve it and peel it. If its skin is smooth, intact, you can leave out the peeling – cooking softens the skin and it can be mixed together with the flesh.
- Cut the flesh into larger cubes, put it into a pot, pour in the broth and cook until it softens, about 30 minutes.
- Pour on cream, mix it and add salt, pepper and a pinch of chilli.
- Mix it with a hand blender to get fine creme.
- Warm the ready soup for a while yet.
Serve the soup decorated with a scoop of sour cream and pumpkin seeds. If you have pumpkin seed oil, add a few drops of it for better digestion.
TIP: Do you know there are also wireless hand blenders? After recharging you can work with them comfortably wherever, even without a socket within reach.
Roasted pumpkin soup
Roasting gives your pumpkin a new taste dimension that is definitely worth trying. Its preparation is only about 10 minutes longer than the basic recipe. The ingredients for four portions remain the same.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Wash the pumpkin, halve it, remove the seeds and cut it into pieces.
- Put it on a baking sheet and sprinkle it with olive oil. We recommend using parchment paper.
- Roast until soft for about 40 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare a pot with boiling broth and put the pumpkin after roasting into it carefully.
- Process everything with a hand blender finely and season with salt, pepper and chilli.
- Finally, gently stir the cream and warm for a while yet.
How to make your pumpkin soup special?
There are a lot of possibilities. The most popular ones are:
Fruits, vegetables and legumes:
- Coconut milk
- Red lentils
“Carnivores“ will not even make a mistake with roasted bacon or spicy sausage.
And what is your favourite type of pumpkin soup? Tell us in the comments or on Facebook.